Plans are underway for an unforgettable weekend of celebrations throughout Holmes Chapel to mark Her Majesty The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee.
A Platinum Jubilee Team has been formed for the village comprising of representatives from the Parish Council, village churches and schools, Holmes Chapel Partnership, plus a host of community groups and organisations.
Celebrations will take place throughout the village from the middle of May beginning with the installation of colourful village centre decorations and yarn bombing in Union Jack colours of red, white, and blue. Residents and businesses are invited to join in the celebrations with Union Jack or Commonwealth themed decorations and garden displays.
Detailed planning for the Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend is now underway with two key events scheduled for the village:
Thursday 2 June - Beacon Lighting - 9:45pm at St. Luke’s Church
· Holmes Chapel will burn bright as one of over 1,500 beacons lit in unison across the Commonwealth to mark the Platinum Jubilee.
· A live Piper will play at the Beacon Lighting with the beacon burning until 10:30pm.
· Local pubs, venues and shops are invited to make the most of this celebratory evening.
Sunday 5 June - The Big Lunch – Holmes Chapel Leisure Centre
· Residents and community groups will unite for a village wide celebration of Holmes Chapel Through the Decades.
· All are invited to enjoy a Churches Together Service of Celebration, followed by a community picnic and parade.
· Live entertainment, games and plenty of fun for all ages will ensure an unforgettable celebration for residents of all ages.
Other village wide activities planned to celebrate the Platinum Jubilee include:
o Commonwealth Flag Trail and Rumble in the Jubilee decorating competition for residents and businesses
o Commemorative tree planting
o Village shop Pen portrait displays by the U3A Local History Group
o In school events
o Show-stopping yarn bombing throughout the village centre.
“We are absolutely delighted that so many Holmes Chapel organisations and businesses are collaborating to deliver an exceptional weekend of celebration for this unprecedented national event,” Commented Chris Jackson, Chair of Holmes Chapel Parish Council. “The village will be adorned with Union Jack colours from mid-May and we hope our efforts will draw visitors from across the region to come and see our decorations.
“Our plans for the Jubilee Weekend include something for residents of all ages as we celebrate all the decades of her Majesty’s reign. It really will be a special event for the village and one which we hope residents will remember for many years to come.”
Community groups and organisations are invited to apply now to host a ‘decade’ themed stall with free activities for attendees to enjoy. If you would like to apply for a stall or get involved in helping to organise or run any of the Holmes Chapel Platinum Jubilee events please email email@example.com
Stay up to date with all the latest Holmes Chapel Platinum Jubilee news by following the Parish Council and Holmes Chapel Partnership’s Facebook pages.
Photo Credit: Jacob King/PA Wire/PA Images